Massive GFRC cornice panels were loaded and shipped on semi-trailers.
The view from above while a new cornice panel is hoisted up the side of the building.
A cornice panel being hooked to the hoist at canopy level prior to its trip up the side of the building.
View of a window head location with new terra cotta pieces anchored to uni-strut framing and stainless steel threaded hooks.
View of the new cornice at the corner of Adams and Dearborn Streets.
Central employees pose for a photo before the final GFRC panel is lifted into place.
Designed by architects Holabird and Root, the historic Marquette Building embodied the design characteristics of large open windows and thinner walls secured to steel structural framing that made the Chicago School of Architecture internationally famous. The 1905 vintage office building declined in desirability over the years and the exterior maintenance was often neglected or downgraded. In the 1950's, the building's crown – a classic cornice – was removed and replaced with flat brick walls that diminished the Marquette Building's character and historic significance.
In 1980, the new owners initiated a long-term program of interior upgrading and exterior restoration including replacement of the cornice. Central Building and Preservation, who had been servicing the building since 1970, was selected as the restoration contractor and continues to implement the long-term restoration plan in conjunction with an owner's team of historic consultants, structural engineers and the general contractor. Central's engineering staff has been relied on for key structural input and its tradesmen have executed repair and restoration details with a craftsmanship praised by the owner and professional team members, alike.